Another day another soup. Perfect for a cozy winter weeknight, this Minestrone from the Barefoot Contessa takes advantage of all the winter veggies, making you feel as though you are getting your daily intake. Ina recommends that you serve the soup with garlic bread and extra parm.
- Olive Oil
- 4 oz Pancetta, 1/2 in diced, [I also used bacon]
- 1 1/2 Cup Chopped Yellow Onions
- 2 Cups 1/2 in Diced Carrots, 3 carrots
- 2 Cups 1/2in Diced Celery, 3 Stalks
- 2 1/2 Cups Butternut Squash, diced and peeled
- 1 1/2 TBSP Mince Garlic, 4 cloves
- 2 TSP Chopped Fresh Thyme
- 26 oz Canned/Boxed Chopped Tomatoes
- 6-8 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Salt + Pepper
- 1 15oz can Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Cups Cooked Small Pasta
- 8-10oz Fresh Baby Spinach
- 1/2 Cup Dry White Wine
- 2 TBSP Pesto
Let’s Get Cookin
Heat 2 TBSP olive oil over MED heat in a large dutch oven.
Add in the pancetta and cook over MED-LOW heat, for about 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in the onions + carrots + celery + squash + garlic + thyme and cook over MED heat, cooking until the vegetables begin to soften.
Add in the tomatoes + chicken stock + bay leaf + 1 TBSP Salt + 1-1/2 TSP Pepper. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes.
Remove the bay leaf and add in the beans + cooked pasta and stir well to combine.
Add in the spinach + white wine + pesto. Take a taste test and add more salt if needed.
Serve with extra parm cheese & a drizzle of olive oil.
Made with Love,